I apologize for the lateness of this message… I’ve been very busy with N4WDA and personal projects and just didn’t take the time to write a timely message.
First, we would like to wish all our members a very Happy Holiday Season.
Sadly, we lost former Board of Directors member and Advisor to N4WDA, Craig McAllister, in late summer after suffering a long bout with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). We wish to express our sorrow to the McAllister family. Craig will also be missed by the N4WDA family. Craig was a long-time member of the Hills Angels 4 Wheel Drive Club in the Reno/Sparks area and we wish to thank the Hills Angels for the donation to N4WDA in his memory.
We hope you all have had a chance to visit our website, www.n4wda.org. Suzy Johnson is our new webmaster and she has created an all new website for us. Carole Vance, N4WDAVice President, will be working with Suzy to help keep the website current. If you have an upcoming event or other announcement that you would like placed on the N4WDA website, please send it to Carole at Vance63@charter.net and she will coordinate with Suzy to get it done.
- Association Board of Directors – HELP! Our Board of Directors is down to four active members(we can have up to seven members per our incorporation papers) and we need help in ensuring the future of N4WDA. If you have an interest in keeping Nevada’s public lands open for access for our and future generations, consider joining our Board. We meet 3 or 4 times per year at dates selected to have little interference with other commitments for our BoD members (our next meeting is Wednesday, March 13th at 9:00AM in Dayton,). If you like participating in the organization of events, etc., perhaps you might have interest. If you do have interest in joining our BoD, contact me, Larry Calkins, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 775-246-3212.
- Association Sponsorship – N4WDA is proud to announce that we have reached agreement with our first association sponsor, Extreme Terrain(XT). XT has a line of accessories, lift kits and other items for Jeep Wrangler vehicles. Check them out at www.extremeterrain.com.
- 3rd Annual N4WDA Silver State Poker Run – On September 15th we held our 3rd Poker Run that originated and ended at the Mark Twain Community Center, in Dayton. We had a turnout of about 40 entrants, that consisted of about a 50/50 mix of Jeeps,trucks, etc. and ATVs/UTVs. Also, for the 3rd time, we incurred no problems with mixing these vehicle types.
Nine days before the event, BLM called and informed us that the county and other public rights of way that we intended to use are considered to be BLM lands and require a Special Use Permit, which would take at least 180 days to obtain. We scrambled and hurriedly redesigned a route that used public and private roads staying off BLM property (I personally consider BLM property to be OUR property and we simply pay, through our taxes, the agency to manage or administrate these lands.)
We had a great hamburger and hot dog meal back at the Mark Twain Community Center followed by a kid’s raffle and the main raffle, which had a great array of prizes that were donated by manufacturers of OHV products, retailers and local merchants that support us, and a won by those buying tickets for the raffle. We wish to thank the donors as well as the ticket holders.
Thanks to N4WDA members (and especially the Komstock Krawlerz who turned out in great numbers for the event) the poker run event came off perfectly. Several participants wrote emails thanking us for a fun-filled event and wanting to be at next year’s 4th Annual Silver State Poker Run.
- February 15-17, 2019 – California 4WD Association 60th Annual Convention, Marriott Hotel, Rancho Cordova, CA.
- March 14-17, 2019 – Off Road Expo, Reno/Sparks Convention Center, Reno, NV.
- April 27, 2019 – 5th Annual N4WDA Swap Meet, location to be determined.
- August 8-11, 2019 – California 4WD Association’s Sierra Trek, Meadow Lake, northwest of Truckee, CA.
- September 14, 2019 – 4th Annual N4WDA Silver State Poker Run, Dayton, NV.
The swap starts at 8am and runs ‘til 1pm. The FREE spaces are available on a first come first served basis, two parking spots max per person.
Free coffee and doughnuts to start your day. Hot dogs, chips and water available later for lunch with a donation to the N4WDA. The RTI ramp and rock pile will be open for testing your rig. 4-Wheel Parts outlet will be open as usual.
So come on over and sell, trade or buy your automotive treasures.
We are in need of more help from you, the membership in putting on our N4WDA events. The same members from the same clubs have been providing the manpower and we don’t want to lose them from burn-out. We need fresh blood!!!
Particularly, we need someone (or group) to step up and do the cooking (hamburgers and hot dogs) for the Fall Swap Meet, Saturday, October 13th at 4 Wheel Parts in Sparks, NV.
The Association will provide the food and drinks as well as the needed equipment (grill, tables, EZ-Up, etc.), all we’re asking is for some one to flip burgers on the grill.
If you can help, email Doug Barr @ email@example.com or me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, we can use help with our membership booth and/or committee help at these events:
- Ultra 4 World Championships – October 19 & 20 at Wild West Motorsports Park, Mustang, NV
- Off Road Expo – March 14-17, 2019 at Reno/Sparks Convention Center, Reno, NV
- N4WDA 5th Annual Spring Swap Meet – Time and place to be determined
- 4th Annual N4WDA Silver State Poker Run – Time and place to be determined
Working at our events is a FUN way to spend some time with your buddies and meet new friends with the same interest as yours. No one is overworked and you get to participate in or watch the event taking place – and the admission is Free!
This event is open to the public for all 4 wheel drive vehicles (Jeeps, trucks, side-by-sides & ATVs) and will be held on trails in the Dayton area. The event will start at 8:30 AM on Saturday 9/15 and will take 2-3 hours to complete. We recommend a minimum of 32” tires on street-legal OHVs.
There will be a Hamburgers & Hotdogs (with all the trimmings) meal served when participants arrive back at the start/finish line.
There will be cash prizes and trophies awarded for the three best poker hands ($100, $50 and $25).
There will also be a GREAT RAFFLE to conclude the event.
For further information contact Carole Vance at 775-246-4099 or email@example.com
N4WDA has been involved in the planning for the development of the Prison Hill OHV Area, located within Carson City, NV, since November, 2016.
Carson City Recreation & Open Space has applied for and received a grant from the Nevada Commission on Off Highway Vehicles (NCOHV) for the development of a management plan. Carson City has selected the National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) to be the contractor for this development of the Prison Hill Recreation Area OHV Management Plan.
The following is an invitation to attend an open house and participate in the planning for this Management Plan.
Prison Hill Recreation Area: OHV Management Plan Project
Please join us for an Open House and discussion on the development of the Prison Hill Recreation Area OHV Management Plan. This is a great opportunity to learn about the project, offer feedback, and provide comments as we create a plan tailored for the OHV Community and the residents of Carson City.
Carson City Community Center
851 E. William Street
Carson City, NV 89701
When: Monday, May 21st, 2018: OPEN HOUSE for the Prison Hill Recreation Area OHV Management Plan. All are encouraged to attend this meeting. We are extending the invitation to the OHV Community, Residents, Adjacent Landowners, Businesses, and anyone interested in learning about the project. We will be recording input and taking comments during this meeting. (Ponderosa Room).
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2018: Prison Hill Recreation Area OHV Mgt. Plan Working Group – Our objective is to form a working group with one to two representatives from the landowners, PNMTA, 4×4, rock crawlers – etc, business, Carson City, and the NV Commission. (Bonanza Room).
If you have any questions, please contact Marc Hildesheim, NOHVCC Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org