Membership Update – December 2018
I apologize for the lateness of this message… I’ve been very busy with N4WDA and personal projects and just didn’t take the time to write a timely message.
First, we would like to wish all our members a very Happy Holiday Season.
Sadly, we lost former Board of Directors member and Advisor to N4WDA, Craig McAllister, in late summer after suffering a long bout with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). We wish to express our sorrow to the McAllister family. Craig will also be missed by the N4WDA family. Craig was a long-time member of the Hills Angels 4 Wheel Drive Club in the Reno/Sparks area and we wish to thank the Hills Angels for the donation to N4WDA in his memory.
We hope you all have had a chance to visit our website, www.n4wda.org. Suzy Johnson is our new webmaster and she has created an all new website for us. Carole Vance, N4WDAVice President, will be working with Suzy to help keep the website current. If you have an upcoming event or other announcement that you would like placed on the N4WDA website, please send it to Carole at Vance63@charter.net and she will coordinate with Suzy to get it done.
- Association Board of Directors – HELP! Our Board of Directors is down to four active members(we can have up to seven members per our incorporation papers) and we need help in ensuring the future of N4WDA. If you have an interest in keeping Nevada’s public lands open for access for our and future generations, consider joining our Board. We meet 3 or 4 times per year at dates selected to have little interference with other commitments for our BoD members (our next meeting is Wednesday, March 13th at 9:00AM in Dayton,). If you like participating in the organization of events, etc., perhaps you might have interest. If you do have interest in joining our BoD, contact me, Larry Calkins, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 775-246-3212.
- Association Sponsorship – N4WDA is proud to announce that we have reached agreement with our first association sponsor, Extreme Terrain(XT). XT has a line of accessories, lift kits and other items for Jeep Wrangler vehicles. Check them out at www.extremeterrain.com.
- 3rd Annual N4WDA Silver State Poker Run – On September 15th we held our 3rd Poker Run that originated and ended at the Mark Twain Community Center, in Dayton. We had a turnout of about 40 entrants, that consisted of about a 50/50 mix of Jeeps,trucks, etc. and ATVs/UTVs. Also, for the 3rd time, we incurred no problems with mixing these vehicle types.
Nine days before the event, BLM called and informed us that the county and other public rights of way that we intended to use are considered to be BLM lands and require a Special Use Permit, which would take at least 180 days to obtain. We scrambled and hurriedly redesigned a route that used public and private roads staying off BLM property (I personally consider BLM property to be OUR property and we simply pay, through our taxes, the agency to manage or administrate these lands.)
We had a great hamburger and hot dog meal back at the Mark Twain Community Center followed by a kid’s raffle and the main raffle, which had a great array of prizes that were donated by manufacturers of OHV products, retailers and local merchants that support us, and a won by those buying tickets for the raffle. We wish to thank the donors as well as the ticket holders.
Thanks to N4WDA members (and especially the Komstock Krawlerz who turned out in great numbers for the event) the poker run event came off perfectly. Several participants wrote emails thanking us for a fun-filled event and wanting to be at next year’s 4th Annual Silver State Poker Run.
- February 15-17, 2019 – California 4WD Association 60th Annual Convention, Marriott Hotel, Rancho Cordova, CA.
- March 14-17, 2019 – Off Road Expo, Reno/Sparks Convention Center, Reno, NV.
- April 27, 2019 – 5th Annual N4WDA Swap Meet, location to be determined.
- August 8-11, 2019 – California 4WD Association’s Sierra Trek, Meadow Lake, northwest of Truckee, CA.
- September 14, 2019 – 4th Annual N4WDA Silver State Poker Run, Dayton, NV.